|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Acheson Hospital for Officers
32 Albert Road, Regent's Park, NW8 7LT
|1917 - 1919
The Acheson Hospital for Officers opened on 9th January 1917 in a house which, from 1912 to 1915, had been the home of the American chemist and industrialist, the inventor of carborundum, Dr Edward Goodrich Acheson (1856-1931).
The Hospital had 30 beds and was an auxiliary hospital to Queen Alexandra's Military Hospital. The nursing staff consisted of 4 trained nurses, and 6 full-time and 40 part-time members of Voluntary Aid Detachments (V.A.D.s)
By the time the Hospital closed on 21st January 1919, the staff had increased to 4 trained nurses, 26 full-time and 52 part-time V.A.D. members. Of the 418 patients treated there, only 2 had died.
After the war Dr Acheson reclaimed the house.
Present status (August 2010)
Albert Road has been renamed Prince Albert Road.
The site of the Hospital is now occupied by Kings Court. A blue plaque dedicated to Dr Acheson has been placed on the west side of the building, where No. 32 would have been.
Kings Court at No. 31 Prince Albert Road absorbed the site of No. 32 (left). A blue plaque is located on the west side of Kings Court and states "Edward Goodrich Acheson 1856-1931 Inventor, Scientist, Industrialist, lived on this site 1912-1915".
The view across the street from Kings Court, looking over into Regent's Park.
(Author unstated) 1917 List of the various hospitals treating miltary cases in the United Kingdom. London, H.M.S.O.
(Author unstated) 1925 The British Red Cross Society. County of London Branch Annual Reports 1914-1924. London, Harrison & Sons.
|Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page