|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
All Saints Home
82, 83 and 84 Margaret Street, W1W 8TB
|1856 - 1914
The Society of All Saints Sisters of the Poor was founded in 1851 in London by Harriet Brownlow Byron (1818-1887), one of the first Anglican Sisterhoods to be established.
In September 1851 she acquired a house in Mortimer Street and moved in on 18th October 1851, this date later becoming the Foundation Day for the All Saints Sisters of the Poor.
On 27th December 1851 she was joined by Sarah Easton - and this was the beginning of the community. The chief religious vocation of the Sisterhood was 'to provide a Religious Asylum for aged and infirm persons in destitute circumstances'.
The first years of the community were spent helping and caring for the needy, but gradually more helpers joined. On 5th May 1856 Harriet Brownlow Byron, Sarah Easton and Ellen Wilson were professed by Revd William Upton Richards (1811-1873), the first vicar of All Saints Church in Margaret Street.
On 3rd August 1856 the Society elected Harriet Brownlow Byron as a 'Mother for Life'. On the following day the community - Sisters, girls in training, orphans, elderly women and incurables - moved to All Saints Home at Nos. 82, 83 and 84 Margaret Street, which had been made into one religious house. The house in Mortimer Street became St Elizabeth's Home for Incurables. (Later, another St Elizabeth's Home for incurables opened in Mayfield Avenue, North Finchley.)
The community continued to expand and a dispensary was established for poor people to obtain medical care. The mortuary chapel received the dead before burial (for those who could not afford funeral parlours the body of the deceased had to be kept at home, usually on the kitchen table due to lack of space).
From 1862 the Sisters undertook responsibility for the nursing care and training at University College Hospital (this ceased in 1899).
In 1869 the Sisterhood established the All Saints Convalescent Hospital in Eastbourne.
In 1881 the Sisters took over the running of the St John the Evangelist Hospital for incurable women of the middle and upper classes in Cowley St John, Oxford.
St Elizabeth's Home for incurables was also established in Homefield Road, Seaford, East Sussex.
By 1896, as well as its convent at Nos. 82-84 Margaret Street, the Sisterhood ran an orphanage for 36 girls aged 6-14 years at No. 74 Margaret Street and a Training School for Girls (aged 14 years and upwards) at No. 77. All Saint's Children's Hospital for small boys with incurable disease had been established at No. 4 Margaret Street and St Agnes Hospital for fallen women in need of medical aid at No. 3.
The Sisterhood also ran St John's House in Norfolk Street, Strand, from where trained nurses were sent out to private families. Its nurses also worked at the new Metropolitan Hospital in Kingsland Road. The All Saints Convalescent Home in Beckenham received married women with their infants. A Maternity Home had been established in 1877 at Cheyne Walk in Chelsea, which took in poor married women for their confinement; there was also accommodation for poor ladies. (In 1883 it moved to No. 10 Queen Anne Terrace, Battersea). A Nurses' Home for trained nurses was set up at No. 3 Fitzroy Square and, in Lewisham, the All Saints Orphanage for boys.
Orphanages were established by the Sisters in other cities - St Saviour's Orphanage for 30 girls aged between 3 and 15 years in Leeds, and St Margaret's Home, an Industrial School orphanage, in Liverpool.
All Saints Missions were set up in various parts of London - Lewisham, Westminster, Hammersmith and Finsbury Park - as well as in Edinburgh, Wolverhampton, Helmsley, Bradford, Nottingham, Chatham and Liverpool.
The Sisters also went to the United States, South Africa and India, working with missions run by the Society of St John the Evangelist.
In 1901 the Society of All Saints moved its headquarters to the newly built All Saints Convent in London Colney, thereby allowing a reduction in size of its metropolitan properties (all leased from the Howard de Walden estate).
Present status (May 2017)
The Nurses' Home at No. 3 Fitzroy Square is now a private residence.
As national and local authorities began to provide welfare services
during the 20th century, the Society decided to sell its convent in London Colney and moved the Mother House
to Oxford in 1976.
No. 84 Margaret Street (left) and Nos. 82 and 83 (right) once constituted All Saints Home. Nos. 82 and 83 were rebuilt in 1914 as a base for the remaining London nuns combined with a hostel for young women.
Nos. 75 - 77 Margaret Street (left). The Training School for Girls was located at No. 77 (it closed in 1901). No. 74 Margaret Street (right) housed the orphanage for girls (it closed in 1910). Both buildings are now shops and offices.
In 1912 the Confraternity House of All Saints opened in Nos. 15-16 Margaret Street. Today the building contains offices.
All Saints Church is at Nos. 7-8 Margaret Street.
No. 4 Margaret Street was once the All Saints Children's Hospital, established in 1883. It is now an office building.
In 1874 No. 3 Margaret Street became the St Agnes Hospital for Fallen Women. Today it is a temple for Happy Science UK.
The Nurses Home for the Sisterhood was at No. 3 Fitzroy Square. The Grade I listed building is now a private residence.
The site of the All Saints Convalescent Home in Beckenham.
|References (Accessed 2nd May 2017)
Holloway SWF 1959 The All Saint's Sisterhood at University College Hospital, 1862-1899. Medical History 3, 146-156.
Mumm S (ed) 2001 All Saints Sisters of the Poor: an Anglican Sisterhood in the Nineteenth Century. Woodbridge, Boydell Press.
to alphabetical list
Return to home page