LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON
Annie McCall Maternity Hospital
McCalls Close & 37-39 Jeffreys Road, Stockwell, SW4 6QU
1889 - 1970
Deeply concerned with the high death rate of mothers during
childbirth, Dr. Annie McCall established a school of midwifery in her
own home at 165 Clapham Road in 1885.
In 1913 work began on a new building for the Hospital, but ceased on 25th January 1914 due to a builders' strike which lasted until the outbreak of WW1.
On 23rd July 1915 the new purpose-built wing was officially opened by the Duchess of Vendome, Princess of Belgium. It had cost £8,000 and could accommodate 50 patients; the houses used previously became the Nurses' Home.
The wing had 12 wards. which were arranged on three floors on either side of the main staircase. Most contained four beds each, although some were larger. The beds were furnished with red and white quilts, with red screen covers providing privacy. The windows, divided into two sections, opened outwards horizontally and simultaneously, and were constructed so to allow in fresh air while preventing anyone gaining entry. In the three labour rooms, the beds were fitted with narrow slats of wood, which could easily be removed after each case for cleaning. The babies were placed in a nursery ward at night to allow mothers to sleep.
The building had a flat roof, where the nurses could enjoy the fresh air when off-duty, and even sleep there during the summer months.
The floors and the walls of the new building were fireproof, but an external iron fire escape was neverthetheless provided.
The Hospital had its own laundry, with soiled linen from the wards dealt with daily.
To prevent cross-infection, each patient had her own numbered crockery and eating utensils.
During the Spanish flu epidemic in 1918-1919 visitors were not allowed to enter the wards, but could look through the glass portion of the ward door.
In 1936 the Hospital was renamed the Annie McCall Maternity Hospital and, in
1938, extended at ground level. The front
elevation, with the main entrance, was in what is now McCall Close.
The main building in McCall Close, now Grade II listed (in October 2011).
The main entrance, boarded up. Signage for Stockwell Studios remains.
Site of Nos. 41-43 Jeffreys Road.
Nos. 37 and 39 Jeffreys Road.
The Battersea branch of the Hospital at St John's House, 31-33 Albert Bridge Road. It had previously been the St John's House Maternity Home.
In 1911 a Tuberculin Dispensary was opened at No. 31 so that poor patients could receive free treatment for tuberculosis.
(Author unstated) 1907 The Clapham Maternity Hospital. British Journal of Nursing Supplement: The Midwife. 19th October, 822-823.
(Author unstated) 1911 Reflections from a Board Room Mirror. British Journal of Nursing Supplement. 8th June, 439.
(Author unstated) 1914 Clapham Maternity Hospital. Annual Meeting. British Journal of Nursing Supplement: The Midwife. 27th June, 591.
(Author unstated) 1915 The Clapham Maternity Hospital. British Journal of Nursing Supplement: The Midwife. 31st July, 102-103.
(Author unstated) 1919 Clapham Maternity Hospital. Annual Meeting. British Journal of Nursing Supplement: The Midwife. 10th May, 326.
Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page