|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Open Air School (II)
20 Kennington Park Gardens, SE11 4AX
|1978 - 1995
Open Air School
The original Aspen House Open Air School had been established by the LCC in 1925 at a site off Brixton Hill.
In 1977, by now as part of the Lambeth education system, the School moved about 4 km north to new purpose-built premises adjacent to Kennington Park.
The new School consisted of a brick-built main building with internal courtyards. The original Spartan 'open air' dimension had been somewhat diluted, but the School was among the longest-lasting examples of the open air movement in London.
It eventually closed on 31st December 1995.
Present status (February 2013)
After the school closure, the premises became the Kennington Park Children's Centre, an early-years special school. In 2003 this came under the control of the nearby Henry Fawcett Primary School, and provided care for infants. When this service was reorganised in 2011, it moved to the primary school site as the Henry Fawcett Children's Centre.
Lambeth again took on the site, which has now become the Kennington Park Bridge to School, a primary pupil referral unit.
The Kennington Park Bridge to School occupies the original 1977 buildings (above and below).
to Open Air Schools
Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page