|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Beech House Military Hospital
16 and 18 The Avenue, Brondesbury, NW6
|1915 - 1919
On 12th March 1915 No. 16 The Avenue opened as a Class A auxiliary military hospital to the First London (T.F.) General Hospital. It had 50 beds.
At a later date No. 18 also became part of the Hospital and it then had 81 beds for enlisted servicemen. The staff consisted of 5 trained nurses and 5 full-time and 32 part-time members of the local Voluntary Aid Detachment.
Patients were encouraged to garden and would also hold cricket matches against the nearby Brondesbury Park Military Hospital.
The Hospital closed on 31st May 1919.
Of the 1,560 patients were admitted during the operational lifetime of the Hospital, only 1 died.
Both houses still exist and are once again private residences.
Beech House, 16 The Avenue.
No. 18, The Avenue.
(Author unstated) 1917 Editorial. As others see us. With the Wounded 5, 1-2.
(Author unstated) 1917 List of the Various Hospitals Treating Military Cases in the United Kingdom. London, H.M.S.O.
(Author unstated) 1925 The British Red Cross Society. County of London Branch Annual Reports 1914-1924. London, Harrison & Sons.
Reid H 1949 British Red Cross Society. Story of the County of London Branch. London, British Red Cross Society.
Valentine KJ 1994 Willesden at War. Vol 1: The Impact on the Community. Self-published.
to alphabetical list
Return to home page