Belgrave Hospital for Children

1 Clapham Road, Oval, SW9 0JF

Medical dates:

Medical character:

1866 - 1985


The Belgrave Hospital for Children began as a charitable foundation in Pimlico in 1866.

In 1903 the Hospital moved to partially completed purpose-built premises near Kennington Oval.  Begun in 1899 and finally completed in 1926, the four-storey Arts & Crafts building was a striking modern design for its time.  It had a simple cruciform plan.  The wards in the north and south wings were galleried and the towers at each corner contained necessary services.  The wards were tiled with ceramic tiles featuring pictures of nursery rhymes.

In 1938 the Hospital had 76 beds and an Out-Patients Department.

On joining the NHS in 1948 it became part of the King's College Hospital Group.

It remained an active children's hospital, but closed when the new Variety Club Children's Hospital opened at King's College Hospital in 1985.

The building became derelict and eventually was squatted by homeless people.  However, it was restored in the 1990s and converted into luxury flats.

Present status (February 2008)

The Grade II listed building has been redeveloped as luxury flats and is now known as 'Belgrave House'.  The side building is partly in use as a clinic.

Belgrave Hospital

The building from the corner by Oval underground station.

Front elevation

Main front elevation still bearing the legend 'Belgrave Hospital for Children'.

Clapham Road

The building viewed from the south on Clapham Road.

entrance hall

The entrance hall decorated with gold mosaic tiles.

Prima RoadPrima Road

The north frontage on Prima Road.

Prima Road

The original stone marked for the 'Electrical Department' in a north window of one of the flats.

Monteiro ClinicMonteiro Clinic

The Monteiro Clinic, 15 Prima Road, in the side building.  The Clinic offers private medical services particularly for Portuguese, Spanish and French speakers.

The Department of Child Psychiatry at King's College Hospital is named the Belgrave Department of Child and Family.


Richardson H (ed) 1998 English Hospitals 1660-1948.  A Survey of Their Architecture and Design.  London,  Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England.


Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page