LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON

Blythswood Auxiliary Hospital
Elmstead Road, West Byfleet, Kent KT14 6JB
Medical dates:

Medical character:
1915 - 1918

Convalescent (military)
The Blythswood Auxiliary Hospital opened in November 1915 in a house lent by Mr John H. Robinson.

The Hospital had 45 beds and was affiliated with the South African Military Hospital in Richmond.  The nursing staff consisted of a Matron, a masseuse and 13 part-time members of the local Voluntary Aid Detachment.

Patients received general treatment.  In the summer the accommodation was increased when open air beds were set up in the grounds.

The Hospital closed on 31st December 1918.


Present status (June 2011)
 The building is  now a private residence.
Blythswood

Blythswood (above and below).

Blythswood
References
(Author unstated) 1917 Red Cross work in Surrey during 1917.  British Red Cross Society Surrey Branch, 5th Annual Report.

(Author unstated) 1920  Red Cross work in Surrey 1918-1919.
British Red Cross Society Surrey Branch.

www.kentvad.org

Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page