|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON
A brief history of healthcare provision in London
LONDON COUNTY COUNCIL
MENTAL OBSERVATION UNITS
Observation units for alleged lunatics were located mainly in workhouses (later called Public Assistance Institutions), but were inadequately staffed and ill-equipped, with only 6-12 beds. There was no means of classifying patients according to mental disorder.
In 1930 the LCC began to reoganise these wards into large units of 80 beds each, three of which were located in north London and three in the south. The reorganisation had almost been completed when WW2 broke out in 1939.
After the war only four units remained - at St Pancras Hospital, Fulham Hospital (for female patients), St John's Hospital in Battersea and St Francis' Hospital. That at St Alfege's Hospital had been damaged by bombs and that at St Clement's Hospital could not be reopened because of staff shortages.
Next section: LCC hospitals during WW2
Previous section: Reorganisation of local government and the end of MAB
Return to Contents list
(Author unstated) 1949 The LCC Hospitals. A Retrospect. London, LCC.
|Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page