|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Broom Close Annexe
Sandy Lane, Fairmile, Cobham, Surrey KT11
|1948 ? - 1958
Convalescent (tuberculous females)
Shortly after the war (1939-1945) Broom Close, a fine mansion house in private grounds, was acquired by the management committee of Epsom District Hospital for use as an annexe to accommodate convalescent female patients with tuberculosis (TB).
In July 1948, at the time of the introduction of the NHS, 17 of the 27 beds were open. By July 1948, 24 were available. Patients stayed, on average, for 100 days.
By 1949 the annexe had 28 beds, with an average occupation of 22. During the year the building was redecorated internally and a television installed. A new garden shelter was built. A 5 acre field, which came with the property, was let for agricultural purposes.
In December 1953 five patients discharged themselves because of the cold and damp conditions within. The large entrance hall served as the main sitting room and was heated by only one fire. Five doors led from this room, one of which was for the rear corridor and one for the main staircase. The patients' bedrooms were heated by gas fires but, due to the narrow bore of the gas main, these could only be used at half strength. The King Edward's Hospital Fund provided a grant so that central heating could be installed in 1954.
In 1955 the average length of stay was from 70 to 88 days, with an average bed occupancy of around 14 to 15. Patients were sent from Epsom District Hospital when they were well enough to get out of bed for a while, and stayed until they were fully restored. If necessary, the Almoner would find them a job.
However, during the 1950s, drug treatment for TB had become widely available and there was no longer a high demand for long-stay beds for such patients.
The annexe closed in 1958.
Present status (June 2013)
The property remained under the ownership of the South East Thames Regional Health Authority until it was sold for £340,000 in May 1980. The house has been demolished and its site is now part of a housing development.
Milner Drive leads to the site of the former annexe.
The site of the house is at the end of the western arm of Milner Drive (above and below).
|References (Accessed 1st February 2017)
to alphabetical list
Return to home page