|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Busch House Open Air School
Twickenham Road, Isleworth, Middlesex TW7 6AU
|1938 - 1970s
Open Air School
Busch House is a small Georgian mansion located just to the west of Syon Park, and to the north of the Isleworth workhouse and infirmary.
In 1938 the local authorities established an open air school for delicate children in the grounds to the rear of the mansion, and a variety of temporary buildings were erected.
The School operated on open air principles up to the late 1970s.
Present status (May 2013)
Following closure of the Open Air School, the premises housed Syon Park School, a small mixed secondary school with 53 pupils, which closed in its turn in 2007.
The premises continue in educational use as part of the Woodbridge Park Education Service, a pupil referral unit which was established in 2007.
The house is now one of the centres for the Woodbridge Park Education Service.
During the 1950s a local health centre was built adjacent to the mansion. This too is gone, replaced by Katherine House, an apartment block, and Busch Close, a gated development.
The Open Air School would have been in wooden pavilions in the grounds behind the building, which was Grade II listed in 1951.
The gateway at the north side of the house.
The gardens can just be glimpsed past the Reception Block at the south of the building.
to Open Air Schools
Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page