|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Chelsea Orthopaedic Clinic
1 Manor Street, Chelsea, SW3 5RP
Physical medicine (out-patients only)
The Chelsea Orthopaedic Clinic opened in January 1920 in the former premises of the Chelsea, Brompton and Belgrave Dispensary which moved from No. 41 Sloane Square to No. 1 Manor Street in 1903.
The Dispensary later closed and the building stood vacant for some time until, in 1913, it was transferred to the Tuberculin Dispensary League and was officially re-opened in May 1914 by Princess Christian as the League's Headquarters and as a Dispensary for the early diagnosis and tuberculin treatment of tuberculous patients living in Chelsea.
The Chelsea Division of the London Branch of the British Red Cross shared the premises with the Tuberculin Dispensary until October 1920, when the Clinic closed as the Ministry of Pensions considered there was an insufficient number of patients attending.
During the ten months it had been open, some 4,541 treatments had been given to ex-servicemen at the Clinic.
The Tuberculin Dispensary closed sometime in the mid 1920s.
Present status (October 2011)
Manor Street has been renamed Chelsea Manor Street.
The building is now used by the Kensington and Chelsea Conservative Association.
No. 1 Chelsea Manor Street.
(Author unstated) 1914 Medical News. British Medical Journal 1 (2782), 943.
(Author unstated) 1925 The British Red Cross Society. County of London Branch Annual Reports 1914-1924. London, Harrison & Sons.
to Orthopaedic and Tropical Clinics
Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page