|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON
City of London Military Hospital
42 Clifden Road, Lower Clapton, E5
|1914 - 1919
In 1914 the War Office requisitioned the City of London Union workhouse in Clifden Road for use as a military hospital.
The City of London Military Hospital had 713 beds for wounded and sick servicemen, and 14 beds for officers with venereal disease. German prisoners of war were also treated at the Hospital (as well as at the Bethnal Green Military Hospital and at the German Hospital in Dalston).
The Hospital closed in 1919.
Present status (June 2011)
In 1921 the Metropolitan Asylums Board purchased the buildings for use as an extension to the adjacent Eastern Hospital. The wards were immediately put to use without alteration to provide 260 extra beds for children with scarlet fever and diphtheria.
The old wall along Clifden Road, site of the City of London workhouse.
The site of the City of London workhouse northern infirmary is now occupied by new housing (left), while the site of the southern infirmary now contains a children's centre (right).
1st March 2014)
(Author unstated) 1917 List of the various hospitals treating military cases in the United Kingdom. London, H.M.S.O.
Paterson S 2012 Tracing your Prisoner of War Ancestors: The First World War. Barnsley, Pen & Sword.
to alphabetical list
Return to home page