LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON

 

 

Connaught Hospital

Orford Road, Walthamstow, E17 9LL

Medical dates:

Medical character:

1878 - 1977

Acute

In the late 19th century Walthamstow residents Mr and Mrs Tudor opened a 'Cottage for Sick Children' in a private house in Brandon Road.  

The Hospital moved to larger premises in Salisbury Road in 1880 and became known as  the Leyton, Walthamstow and Wanstead Hospital.

In 1894 the gift of Holmcroft in Orford Road enabled the hospital to expand so that it could also provide general services, and it was duly renamed the Children's and General Hospital for Leyton, Leytonstone, Walthamstow and Wanstead.

It was enlarged in 1897 and again in 1903.  By 1925 it had 50 beds.  The Leyton and Leytonstone War Memorial Ward was added in 1927.

In 1928 it was renamed the Connaught Hospital, as the Duchess of Connaught had been patron since 1866.  The Duke of Kent had helped to raise £17,000 for its running costs.  By this time it had 100 beds.

Comely Bank in Orford Road was acquired as a clinic in 1930.  In 1934 the Hospital was enlarged again and by 1939 had 118 beds.

Although mooted in 1945, the prospect of building a larger hospital never materialized and, in 1959, the old Walthamstow Town Hall, built in 1866, was incorporated into the Hospital and became its main entrance.  This expanded it to 128 beds.

In 1948 the Hospital joined the NHS under the control of the Forest Group Hospital Management Committee, part of the North East Metropolitan Regional Hospital Board.

In 1974, following a major reorganisation of the NHS, it came under the auspices of the Enfield District Health Authority, part of the North East Thames Regional Health Board.

The Hospital finally closed in 1977 due to financial cutbacks in the NHS.  

Present status (December 2007)

Most of the buildings have been demolished and small housing built on the site.

The former National School (also built in 1866), which had housed the pathology department from 1949, is now the Waltham Forest Asian Centre.  The Grade II listed Town Hall building, restored in 1994,  has just been sold.  Holmcroft House now contains 14 sheltered housing units.



UPDATE:  January 2016

The Town Hall has now been converted into Connaught Court, an apartment block.

Connaught HospitalConnaught Hospital

The Old Town Hall from the west (left) and east (right).

Connaught HospitalConnaught Hospital

The main entrance (left) with an historic building plaque (right) above the doorway mentioning the role of the Hospital.

Connaught Hospital

Notice advertising that the building has been sold.

Connaught HospitalConnaught Hospital

Connaught Close - new housing to the east of the Old Town Hall, which can be seen in the distance.

Connaught HospitalConnaught Hospital

The National School, once the Pathology Department of the Hospital, became the Waltham Forest Asian Centre. It has recently become the Waltham Forest Community Hub.

Connaught Hospital

Holmcroft House, now sheltered housing.  The original house was demolished and the site redeveloped.

Holmcroft was a dower house built by Alfred Janson for his wife.  She died in 1893 and the house was bought by Mrs and Mrs Casey, who presented it to the Hospital.

References (Accessed 21st January 2016)

Collier L  2014  Walthamstow Through Time.  Stroud, Amberley Publishing.

Smith M, Sakula A 1994 Hospital Names.  London, RSM Press.

www.bbc.co.uk
www.british-history.ac.uk
www.gettyimages.co.uk
www.history-in-pictures.co.uk
www.walthamstowmemories.net

Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page