|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Coombe Wood Hospital
Coombe Road, Croydon CR0 5RE
|1938 - 1960s?
Convalescent. Later, TB
In 1938 the Croydon Corporation purchased Coombe Wood House for use as a convalescent home for patients from Croydon General Hospital.
The 20-roomed property was a delightful house, standing in grounds surrounded by a wood. It had been built in 1898 at much expense and in good taste.
In 1948 the Home became part of the NHS under the control of the Croydon Group Hospital Management Committee, part of the South West Regional Hospital Board.
In 1954 it was renamed Coombe House Hospital. It had 21 beds and was used for patients with pulmonary TB, but with minimal lesions. The Hospital was in the care of a local chest physician, who arranged the admissions. There were two resident nurses, while others attended on a daily basis.
The Hospital admitted both male and female patients, who spent from six to eight weeks in bed. They were then allowed up for the rest of their stay. There were two sitting rooms, one of which had a billiard table. All the furniture was new and in excellent style.
The Hospital presumably closed in the 1960s as anti-tuberculosis drugs became more widely available.
Present status (February 2010)
The house is now a restaurant - The Chateau.
The former grounds of the house, including the ornamental gardens, and 14 acres of woodland are now known as Coombe Wood and owned and managed by the Council.
The Chateau from Coombe Lane.
The entrance to the upper garden from the lower garden (left). The house from the upper garden (right).
The upper garden (left). An ornamental concrete bench made by Mono Concrete Ltd, a local firm (right).
The entrance to Coombe Wood Gardens at Conduit Lane and Coombe Road.
The stable block has become the Coach House Cafe.
The back of the building (left). The entrance to the Cafe from the lower garden (right).
The lower garden.
The pond in the lower garden.
|Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page