|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON
Eastcote V.A.D. Hospital
50 Field End Road, Eastcote, Middlesex
In 1914 Mr Benjamin James Hall and his wife Annie (who was the Honorary Secretary of the Women's Total Abstinence Union) offered their home, Fieldend Lodge, for use as an auxiliary military hospital.
As the War Office would only sanction auxiliary hospitals
affiliated to the Red Cross Society, there was a delay until the
problem was resolved by placing Fieldend Lodge under the command of the
Northwood V.A.D. Hospital. Mrs Carmalt Jones acted as Commandant for both auxiliary hospitals.
The Eastcote V.A.D. Hospital had its own
electricity and a small operating theatre. Its 14 beds were
arranged in three wards which were named after General French, General Joffre and King Albert.
In the summer, hammocks and garden chairs were set out in the grounds so that patients could benefit from the open air. They could also enjoy games of croquet with tea on the lawn. Two motor cars were available to take patients for drives into the countryside, and concerts and other entertainments were laid on by the local residents.
In April 1915 the Hospital became an independent V.A.D. Hospital run by the Middlesex 50 unit, under the command of Mrs Hall. By the end of the year it had 28 beds.
In 1916, following the Battle of the Somme, auxiliary hospitals were asked to double their capacity to receive the wounded. The number of beds at Eastcote were increased to 40 and, by Christmas 1917, to 60.
On discharge from the Hospital each man received a small khaki-coloued Testament from Mrs Hall and was asked to sign the pledge (to abstain from alcohol). The majority did so.
In June 1918 Mrs Hall was awarded an O.B.E.
At the end of the war in November 1918 the Hospital requested closure, and the War Office agreed. The remaining 30 patients were transferred to Northwood V.A.D. Hospital.
The Grade II listed 16th century building is now the Tudor Lodge Hotel.
The Army Council certificate of appreciation is still displayed in the Reception area of the Hotel.
The Tudor Lodge Hotel.
The pedestrian entrance to the Hotel on Field End Road.
The Eastcote War Memorial was moved here from its original site following a road traffic accident.
During WW1 134 men from Eastcote served in the Forces, of whom 16 were killed.
The plaque states "This Memorial was first erected in 1922 at the junction of Field End and Bridle Road, and was moved to its present location in 1929. The Memorial was restored and the plaques replaced in 1999 by the London Borough of Hillingdon and the Royal British Legion. The original bronze plaques are displayed in the Royal British Legion Hall, Southbourne Gardens, Eastcote".
(Apparently - in 2014 - they are no longer on display there. Personal communication: Jeff Duley, Branch Chairman, Eastcote Royal British Legion.)
The War Memorial is decorated with various inscriptions on brass plaques, including one with the Kohima Memorial Tribute. The epitaph is found on many memorials and monuments - When you go home, tell them of us and say, for your tomorrows we gave our today.
(Author unstated) 1915 Eastcote Voluntary Aid Hospital. British Journal of Nursing, 16th October, 314-315.
Toms P 2007 The VAD Hospitals in Northwood and Eastcote during World War I. Ruislip, Northwood and Eastcote Local History Society Journal, 10-21.
|Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page