|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Auxiliary Military Hospital
9 Gentleman's Row, Enfield, Middlesex EN2 6PT
In September 1916 Elm House, a former school, was converted into an auxiliary military hospital with 50 beds.
In 1917 the number of beds was increased to 70 and, when an annexe was added later, to 120. The nursing staff consisted of 5 nurses, assisted by the local Voluntary Air Detachment.
The Hospital closed in January 1919.
Present status (October 2011)
The large, early 18th century building was Grade II listed in 1951. It has been converted into four apartments.
The driveway (above) leading to the ornate gateway entrance (below) to No. 9 Gentleman's Row.
No. 9 Gentleman's Row.
|References (Accessed 14th November 2015)
Fenn CR 1919 Middlesex to Wit. London, St Catherine Press.
to alphabetical list
Return to home page