|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Enfield V.A.D. Hospital
St Marks Institute, St Marks Road, Bush Hill Park,
Enfield, Middlesex EN1 1DT
|1916 - 1919
In September 1916 St Mark's Institute in Bush Hill Park was converted into an auxiliary military hospital for convalescent servicemen. Known as the Enfield V.A.D. Hospital or St Mark's Institute (or Hall) Military Hospital, it was affiliated to the Edmonton Military Hospital and managed by the Middlesex/94 Voluntary Aid Detachment.
In March 1917 the number of beds was increased from 30 to 50 and, in May 1917, to 70.
The Hospital closed in 1919.
Present status (June 2011)
The building was converted into apartments in 1985 and renamed Chapel Court.
Despite looking vaguely like a chapel, with its rounded windows and bell tower, the building was used as a community centre for the parish.
The foundation stone was laid on 29th September 1906.
|References (Accessed 13th November 2015)
(Author unstated) 1917 List of the various hospitals treating military cases in the United Kingdom. London, H.M.S.O.
Sellick S 2011 Enfield Through Time. Stroud, Amberley Publishing.
to alphabetical list
Return to home page