|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
High Barnet V.A.D. Hospital
Ewen Hall, Wood Street, Barnet, Herts EN5 4BW
During WW1 Ewen Hall, which had opened in 1907 as the church hall for the Barnet United Reformed Church, was lent to the War Office by the Deacons of the Church for use as an auxiliary military hospital.
The High Barnet V.A.D. Hospital opened in March 1915 with 25 beds. It was run by the Hertford/32 Voluntary Aid Detachment and was affiliated to Edmonton Military Hospital. Miss Winifred Game was the Commandant of both Ewen Hall and the Ken Cottage Auxiliary Hospital.
By 1917 it had 40 beds, which were later increased to 52.
By September 1918 there were 70 beds.It closed in April 1919.
In July 1920 a framed certificate was presented to the Church by the Army Council as a record of thanks for the use of the Hall as a V.A.D. Hospital. It was signed by Winston Churchill (1874-1965), then Secretary of State for War.
Ewen Hall is still used by church and community groups for social events, and is available for hire.
The Hall is beside the Barnet United Reformed Church, which was built in 1893.
(Author unstated) 1917 List of the various hospitals treating military cases in the United Kingdom. London, H.M.S.O.
|Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page