|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Fulham and Putney
16 Lillie Road, West Brompton, SW6 1TS
|1920 - 1921
Physical medicine (out-patients only)
The Fulham and Putney Orthopaedic Clinic opened in September 1920 in the premises of the former Lockharts refreshment rooms.
The Clinic closed on 31st October 1921 and the patients were transferred to the Kensington Orthopaedic Clinic.
Although it had only been open for 13 months, discharged servicemen had received some 2,857 treatments.
Present status (October 2011)
The corner building is once again a cafe - the Zama Zingo.
No. 16 Lillie Road.
BUILDING AT RISK - April 2017
The building was designed by John Young (1797-1877), the architect of the nearby Cancer Hospital (now the Royal Marsden Hospital) in Fulham Road. He is known and singled out by Pevsner for his 'exceptional' brickwork.
It is now at imminent risk of demolition by Capco plc, developers of Earl's Court, who want to pull down the whole of Enpress Place and all buildings fronting Lillie Road.
There is a petition to save the building:
SAVE EMPRESS PLACE FROM DEMOLITION
Please consider signing it.
|References (Accessed 3rd April 2017)
(Author unstated) 1921 News in brief. The Red Cross 8, 131.
(Author unstated) 1925 The British Red Cross Society. County of London Branch Annual Reports 1914-1924. London, Harrison & Sons.
to Orthopaedic and Tropical Clinics
Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page