|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Furzedown Auxiliary Hospital
Furzedown, Grubb Street, Limpsfield, Surrey RH8 0SH
|1914 - 1918
The Furzedown Auxiliary Hospital opened in October 1914 under the Aldershot Command. Housed in a former private residence, it had 20 beds and had been equipped by the Surrey/62 Voluntary Aid Detachment (V.A.D.). A Comfort Fund for the servicemen was started at the same time.
In 1915 the Hospital was transferred to London Command and was affiliated to Charing Cross Hospital. In lieu of rest and massage, the patients were encourage gradually to do work in the garden and house.
In 1917 the Governors of Charing Cross Hospital decided they could no longer run the auxiliary hospitals at Binefield and Furzedown.
The Hospital closed in November 1917. Some 168 patients had received treatment during the months January - November 1917.
After thorough cleaning the Hospital reopened on 22nd November 1917 with 21 beds. It was affiliated to the Croydon War Hospital.
The Hospital closed in 1918 towards the end of the war, when it was decided that the Croydon War Hospital no longer needed auxiliary beds.
Present status (July 2011)
The building is still in existence as a private home.
The driveway to Furzedown.
Furzedown, as glimpsed from the driveway.
|References (Accessed 13th December 2014)
(Author unstated) 1917 Red Cross work in Surrey during 1917. 5th Annual Report, British Red Cross Society Surrey Branch.
(Author unstated) 1917 List of the various hospitals treating military cases in the United Kingdom. London, H.M.S.O.
(Author unstated) 1920 Red Cross work in Surrey 1918-1919. British Red Cross Society Surrey Branch.
|Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page