|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Open Air School
35-37 Stepney Green, E1 3JX
|1927 - 1939
Open air school
In 1927 the LCC established an additional small open air school for tuberculous children in the gardens behind Geere House at 35 and 37 Stepney Green, adjacent to the London Jewish Hospital.
The Geere House Open Air School accommodated some 50 children in two pavilion classrooms and a rest/dining shelter.
As with most such schools, it closed down on the commencement of WW2 in 1939, and its pupils were evacuated to a large house in Ascot called Daneswood.
Present status (February 2013)
The garden facilities survived in educational use until at least the 1960s, but were vacant by 1974.
At least one of the classroom pavilions was used for storage until very recently. However, planning permission was granted in 2012 to demolish and rebuild this with an additional pavilion, to provide a new residence.
Geere House, 37 Stepney Green, is a Grade II* listed building. The school was in the gardens of Nos. 35 and 37 behind.
The whole garden area is accessed through a walled gateway from the foot of adjacent Maria Terrace (above and below).
to Open Air Schools
Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page