|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Grove Lane Schools
(4th London General Hospital)
Grove Lane, Camberwell, SE5 8SN
|1915 - 1919
In 1915 the Denmark Hill Schools, built by the LCC in 1905, were requisitioned by the War Office for use as an extension of the Maudsley Military Hospital, the neurological section of the Fourth London General Hospital.
The School buildings in Grove Lane (which runs parallel to Denmark Hill) provided 218 beds for servicemen suffering from war neuroses and shell shock.
The Hospital presumably closed in 1919.
Present status (August 2011)
Originally there were two main buildings, one on Grove Lane and one behind. The former appears to have survived as the Lyndhurst Primary School, while the latter has gone and its site is now part of the school playground.
Lyndhurst Primary School.
The building bears a masonry plaque with the legend 'Denmark Hill Schools 1905'.
The southern wing of the School (left) and the northern wing (right).
(Author unstated) 1917 List of the various hospitals treating military cases in the United Kingdom. London, H.M.S.O.
to alphabetical list
Return to home page