|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Hog Hill, Chigwell Road, Chigwell, Essex IG7 4QN
|1930s - 1966
During the 1930s Hainault Lodge, built in 1851 during the deforestation of Hainault Forest, became an annexe of Oldchurch County Hospital. Both were managed by Essex County Council.
The annexe accommodated elderly female patients no longer in need of acute care.
At the outbreak of WW2 in 1939 the annexe joined the Emergency Medical Service, but in fact was used as accommodation for officers from nearby R.A.F. Fairlop.
In 1948, when it had 48 beds, the annexe joined the NHS, together with its parent hospital, under the control of the Romford Group Hospital Management Committee, part of the North East Metropolitan Regional Hospital Board.
The annexe closed in 1966.
Present status (April 2009)
In 1972 there was a proposal to use the Lodge for homeless families. The G.L.C. expressed an interest in developing the site as a holiday caravan park, but the plan never materialised. By this time the Lodge had become derelict and it was demolished in 1973.
In 1981 a plan was submitted to build a 56-bedded private hospital on the site, but this too came to naught.
In 1986 the completely overgrown 16-acre site was acquired by the London Borough of Redbridge.
It is now the Hainault Lodge Local Nature Reserve, which opened in 1995.
The approach to the central clearing.
The central clearing, once the site of the Lodge.
Approximate site of the Lodge (above and below).
An explainer in the central clearing.
The fir tree marks the site of the Lodge.
Hainault Lodge, with fir tree to the left.
The fir tree is now well hidden by new trees.
Various views of the Local Nature Reserve (LNR) (above and below).
A wooden plaque (right) commemorates the opening of the LNR by the Mayor of Redbridge, Cllr Ronnie Barden, on 15th December 1995.
|References (Accessed 27th June 2015)
to alphabetical list
Return to home page