|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Hanover House V.A.D. Hospital
Hanover House, High Road, Woodford Wells, Essex IG8 0RQ
|1915 - 1918
In February 1915 the War Office accepted Hanover House, a fair-sized mansion standing in its own grounds, for use as an auxiliary hospital for convalescent patients with enteric disease (typhoid fever).
The Hanover House V.A.D. Hospital opened in April 1915. It was managed by the Essex/6 Voluntary Aid Detachment (V.A.D.) and was affiliated to Addington Park War Hospital for all purposes except discipline.
The Hospital had 15 beds in a number of wards and also a Recreation Room for the patients.
It closed for a month during 1915 for through cleaning.
By 1917 it had 17 beds and was affiliated to the Colchester Military Hospital.
The Hospital closed in January 1918, when all patients were transferred to Ormonde House Hospital in Buckhurst Hill.
Of the 120 patients treated at the Hospital, all recovered except one.
Present status (August 2010)
The house has been demolished and its site is now occupied by new housing.
Chiltern Way has been built on the site of Hanover House and its grounds.
(Author unstated) 1917 List of the various hospitals treating military cases in the United Kingdom. London, H.M.S.O.
Loyd AK (ed) 1917 The British Red Cross Society. The Country Branches, Vol. 1. London, British Red Cross Society.
|Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page