|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Willifield Way, Golders Green, NW11 6YD
|1915 - 1918
In 1915 the Club House on Willifield Green became an auxiliary military hospital to the Hampstead Military Hospital in Mount Vernon.
The Club House, which had opened in 1909 as a community centre for the residents of Hampstead Garden Suburb, contained small and large halls for concerts, dances and whist drives, etc, meeting rooms, a Library and reading room, a smoking lounge and a billiard room with 3 tables.
The Garden Suburb Auxiliary Hospital had 50 beds in two ugly wooden additions to the Club House. It was managed by the Middlesex/40 Voluntary Aid Detachment (Order of St John), who had been trained by Mrs Irwin, the Commandant, at the Garden Suburb Institute in the early summer. Dr Herman Stedman was the medical officer in charge, replaced in 1916 by Dr Richard Holgate Shaw. The War Office paid a capitation fee for each patient at the Hospital but the residents of Hampstead Garden Suburb also gave financial help.
The Hospital closed in July 1919. During the four years of its operational life, some 1,700 men had received treatment. None had died.
Present status (June 2010)
In 1940, during WW2, the building was destroyed by a land mine.
Its site is now occupied by Fellowship House, a social centre for the elderly.
Fellowship House from across Willifield Green.
15th March 2015)
(Author unstated) 1917 List of the various hospitals treating military cases in the United Kingdom. London, H.M.S.O.
Barnett H 1928 The Story of the Growth of the Hampstead Garden Suburb 1907-1928. (Facsimile 2006, published by Hampstead Garden Suburb Archive Trust for the Centenary).
Fenn C.R. 1919 Middlesex to Wit. London, St Catherine Press.
Gillies S, Taylor P 1993 Hendon, Child's Hill, Golders Green and Mill Hill. Chichester, Phillimore.
to alphabetical list
Return to home page