|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Hospital for Diseases of the Skin
71 Blackfriars Road, SE1 8JZ
|1841 - 1953
The Hospital was founded by James Startin (1806-1872) in 1841 and opened as the London Infirmary for the Cure of Diseases of the Skin at 84, London Wall. It moved to 25 Bridge Street in Blackfriars in 1844, where it was named the London Cutaneous Infirmary.
It renamed itself a year later to beome the London Cutaneous Institution for Treatment and Cure of Non-Infectious Diseases of the Skin. By 1850 this had become shortened to the Hospital for Diseases of the Skin. Dr Startin ran it single-handedly for the first ten years.
In 1872 the hospital moved again - to 52 Stamford Street - where it remained until 1916, treating mainly out-patients. Only women and children were admitted as in-patients from 1892.
The Hospital then moved to Blackfriars Road, where only out-patients were treated.
The pre-eminent ophthalmologist Jonathan Hutchinson (1828-1913) joined the staff, having trained earlier under Startin, and it is mainly through him that the Hospital achieved fame and recognition. The Hospital became a respected centre for syphilology and dermatology (the study of venereal disease was closely linked with dermatology).
The Hospital was eclipsed in importance when St John's Hospital for Diseases of the Skin offered places for registrars and clinical assistants, as well as providing teaching and lectures.
In 1948 it joined the NHS under the control of the Bermondsey and Southwark Group Hospital Management Committee, part of the South East Metropolitan Regional Hospital Board.
However, the Hospital declined and finally closed in 1953.
Present status (January 2008)
The site is now occupied by Southwark underground station.
The site of the Hospital's third home at No. 52 Stamford Street is now occupied by Hatfield House.
The final site of the Hospital in Blackfriars Road is occupied by Southwark underground station, which opened in 1999 as part of the Jubilee line extension.
26th October 2013)
Black N 2006 Walking London's Medical History. London, Royal Society of Medicine Press
Rook A 1978 James Startin, Jonathan Hutchinson and the Blackfriars Skin Hospital. British Journal of Dermatology 99, 215-219
to alphabetical list
Return to home page