|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
King Edward Hall
7 Hendon Lane, Finchley Church End, N3
|1916 - 1919
Built in 1911 as a private banqueting hall, the King Edward Hall became an auxiliary military hospital in 1915, during WW1. It had 60 beds and was run by the local Voluntary Aid Detachment.
By 1917 it had 62 beds and was affiliated to Edmonton Military Hospital.
It closed in April 1919.
The building was Grade II listed in 2000. Currently it does not appear to be used as a venue for events.
The 4-storey corner turret of King Edward Hall has a clock and a copper dome with a flagstaff.
The 3-storey Regent's Park Road elevation (left) has 11 windows, whilst the Hendon Lane side (right) has 13.
Both elevations bear the legend "KING EDWARD HALL" on a stone parapet above three tall windows rising though the first and the second floors. The windows are linked by elaborate cast iron balustrading.
(Author unstated) 1917 List of the various hospitals treating military cases in the United Kingdom. London, H.M.S.O.
Fenn CR 1919 Middlesex to Wit. London, St Catherine Press.
Gillies S, Taylor P 1995 Finchley and Friern Barnet. Chichester, Phillimore.
|Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page