|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Hospital for Officers
43 Belgrave Square, SW1X 8PA
|1914 - 1918
At the outbreak of WW1 Lady Aberconway, a keen supporter of women's rights and suffrage, converted her London residence into a hospital for officers, with the drawing room used as a ward. (Shortly after, her Haslemere home, Hilders, also became a convalescent military hospital.)
Lady Aberconway directed the Hospital herself. The King and Queen visited in November 1914 and again in April 1915.
The Hospital later became an annexe of the Sister Agnes Keyser Hospital in Grosvenor Crescent.
After the war, Lady Aberconway was awarded the C.B.E. for war services.
Present status (February 2014)
The white stuccoed building is now the Turkish Embassy.
The northeast terrace of Belgrave Square was erected in the early 19th century.
The Turkish Embassy.
3rd June 2014)
(Author unstated) 1914 Care of the wounded. British Journal of Nursing, 21st November, 404.
to alphabetical list
Return to home page