|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Lady Ridley's Hospital
10 Carlton House Terrace, St James, SW1Y 5AH
|1914 - 1919
At the beginning of WW1 Lady Ridley opened a Hospital for Officers in her London residence. The ballroom, with its painted ceiling, was converted into a ward. It had 25 beds, which were all occupied by December 1914.
The Hospital was affiliated to Queen Alexandra's Military Hospital in Millbank. Members of the London/52 Voluntary Aid Detachment provided nursing care.
By 1917 the Hospital had 60 beds, including a ward hut built in the grounds.
It closed in January 1919.
Present status (June 2010)
The building, and most of its neighbour, No. 11, is now occupied by the British Academy.
No. 10, Carlton House Terrace (above and below).
(Author unstated) 1914 Summary of work since outbreak of war to date. London, British Red Cross Society.
(Author unstated) 1917 List of the various hospitals treating military cases in the United Kingdom. London, H.M.S.O.
(Author unstated) 1925 The British Red Cross Society. County of London Branch Annual Reports 1914-1924. Harrison & Sons.
|Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page