|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Caenswood Close, Weybridge, Surrey
|1916 - 1919
The Llandaff Auxiliary Military Hospital opened in September 1916 in a house lent by Mr H.F. Locke King. Mrs Ethel Locke King was the Commandant of the local Voluntary Air Detachment (V.A.D.), which also managed several other auxiliary hospitals in the area.
The Hospital was an annexe to the Brooklands Auxiliary Military Hospital and had 34 beds. It was affiliated to Bethnal Green Military Hospital and provided general treatment for convalescent servicemen. The nursing staff consisted of a Matron, a nurse, a masseuse and 5 living-in V.A.D. nurses.
By 1917 the Hospital had 40 beds.
It closed in April 1919.
Present status (July 2011)
The property has been demolished and its site is now occupied by Tudor House in Caenswood Close.
27th February 2014)
(Author unstated) 1917 Red Cross work in Surrey during 1917. British Red Cross Society Surrey Branch, 5th Annual Report.
(Author unstated) 1917 List of the various hospitals treating military cases in the United Kingdom. London, H.M.S.O.
(Author unstated) 1920 Red Cross work in Surrey 1918-1919. British Red Cross Society Surrey Branch.
to alphabetical list
Return to home page