|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
London Lock Hospital
91 Dean Street, Soho, W1
|1862 - 1952
Specialist (Out-Patients only)
In 1862 a new branch of the London Lock Hospital opened at 91 Dean Street for male out-patients. The Harrow Road building became the 'Female Hospital'.
The Dean Street branch received a government subsidy in return for treating naval and military personnel referred from the War Office, who were obliged under the Contagious Diseases Act of 1864 to provide facilities. A new wing was opened in 1867 to cope with the volume of patients (however, the number of referrals drmatically declined when the Act was repealed in 1886).
In 1912 the building was demolished and replaced by the current neo-Georgian one.
During WW2 the Harrow Road branch was requisitioned by the War Office, while the Dean Street branch held clinics for both male and female patients.
The Hospital closed in 1952 together with its parent Hospital. In 1955 the West End Hospital for Nervous Diseases took over the building until that too closed in the 1990s.
Present status (June 2008)
The building is now used as a hostel.
The building demolished in 1912 was similar to
No. 90 Dean Street
The main entrance
The words 'Male Hospital 1912' can be seen in the portico
(no author given) 4th October 1952 End of the London Lock Hospital. British Medical Journal 2 (4787), 768.
Black N 2006 Walking London's Medical History. London, Royal Society of Medicine Press.
Gibbs D 2002 Male hospital in Dean Street: a last link with London Locks. Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine 95: 450.
Williams DI 1995 The London Lock - a Charitable Hospital for Venereal Disease 1746-1952. London, Royal Society of Medicine Press.
|Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page