|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
off North Street, Romford, Essex
|1915 - 1918
Marshalls, a large house standing in its own grounds, was lent to the British Red Cross Society as a convalescent home in 1915 by Mrs McIntosh, the Vice-President of its Romford Division.
The Marshalls Park Convalescent Home had 20 beds (later increased to 22) in several wards. It also had separate Dining and Recreation Rooms. The 42 members of the Essex/51 Voluntary Aid Detachment acted as orderlies.
The Home presumably closed in 1918 at the end of WW1.
Present status (January 2011)
The property was put up for sale in 1924 and most of the land was soon developed for new housing.
Marshalls was demolished in 1959. St Edward's C of E Primary School occupies the south part of its site.
The original driveway is now The Avenue.
The driveway peters out at a 'Dangerous Bridge' sign.
St Edward's Church of England Primary School, as seen from Havering Drive (above and below).
|References (Accessed 17th February 2015)
Loyd AK (ed) 1917 The British Red Cross Society. The Country Branches. Vol. 1. London, British Red Cross Society.
to alphabetical list
Return to home page