|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Prince's Road, Kennington, SE1 6JJ
|1916 - 1918
In 1916 the British Red Cross Society opened an auxiliary hospital in Prince's Road. The light well-ventilated building had been purpose-built as a day nursery.
The auxiliary hospital was offered to the King George Hospital for soldiers who had been medically discharged as unfit for service, but who still required further treatment. However, as the facilities were not taken full advantage of, the Red Cross suggest that the premises be used as an overflow ward for patients with severe facial injuries.
The Maxillo-Facial Hospital opened on 1st October 1916, and the first patient was admitted on 5th October. Although such specialist hospitals existed for serving soldiers and sailors, this was the only one which provided free treatment for those discharged from the services as unfit on account of the injuries to their faces or jaws. Six of the 30 beds were reserved for patients who had already received treatment but had to return for further dental, mechanical or surgical treatment because of difficulties with feeding or speech.
The Hospital received a daily capitation grant of 3s 3d (16p) per occupied bed from the War Office, but its income was also supplemented by the Cinematograph Trade Benevolent Fund, three of whose members served on the Hospital Committee.
The Hospital closed on 31st December 1918.
Present status (February 2008)
Almost immediately, the premises reverted to their original purpose and became the Babies' Hostel, a day nursery.
Today the building is known as William Geoffrey House and is used by the Lambeth Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) for children with mental health difficulties and their parents.
William Geoffrey House at No. 35 Black Prince Road.
Broad Street and Prince's Road were renamed Black Prince Road in 1939 (Edward III (1312-1377) had given his son Edward the Black Prince , the 1st Duke of Cornwall, (1330-1376) the manor of Vauxhall and Kennington).
(Author unstated) 1916 Face and jaw wounds. Free treatment for discharged soldiers and sailors. British Journal of Nursing, 30th September, 272.
(Author unstated) 1916 A maxillo-facial hospital. British Medical Journal 2 (2909) 30th Sept, 472.
(Author unstated) 1917. Our Work. The Red Cross 4, 136.
(Author unstated) 1921 Reports by the Joint War Committee and the Joint War Finance Committee of the British Red Cross Society and the Order of St John of Jerusalem in England. 1914-1919. London, H.M.S.O. (reprinted in facsimile, 2005. The Naval and Military Press Ltd in association with the Imperial War Museum).
(Author unstated) 1931 St Thomas' Babies' Hostel. British Medical Journal 2 (3690), 26 Sept, 584-585.
|Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page