LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON
National Temperance Hospital
110-112 Hampstead Road, NW1 2LT
1873 - 1990
Throughout the 19th century drinking was widespread, even
encouraged. Alcohol was regarded primarily as a healthy substance
which had preventative and curative powers. While drunkenness was
condemned, it was regarded only as an abuse.
Patients with respiratory illness were treated with a
procedure known as 'cupping'
or 'blistering'. A small glass cup of alcohol was ignited to heat the
cup, which was then applied externally to the chest with the intention
that the inflammation of the lung would be transferred to the skin and
thereby relieved. The resulting blister was then lanced.
A committee was formed and, in 1873, a lease was obtained for 21 years for No. 112 Gower Street and the London Temperance Hospital received its first patients in October the same year. A Board of Management, consisting of 12 total abstainers, was appointed to manage the Hospital.
In 1875 a fund was established to raise money for a larger
building. A plot of land next to St James' Church in Hampstead Road,
the previous site of the Hampstead turnpike, was purchased and the
foundation stone laid in 1879. The English-born American
financier, Samuel Insull, donated $160,000 towards the project.
In 1892 the Duchess of Westminster opened the children's ward.
In 1893, at the request of the Metropolitan Asylums Board, 12 beds were
set aside for cholera victims.
In 1906 the vicarage was demolished and the foundation stone laid on 25th October for a new Out-Patients Department.
During 1913 and 1914 an Ear, Nose and Throat Department and a
Skin Department opened.
The Hospital joined the NHS in 1948 under the control of the Paddington Group Hospital Management Committee, part of the North West Metropolitan Regional Hospital Board. In 1954 it had 158 general beds.
During the 1960s a number of beds were set aside for use by the Eastman Dental Hospital in order to reduce the dental waiting list.
On 1st January 1968 the private patient beds in the Insull Wing closed and, on 1st April, the Hospital merged with University College Hospital. Its Casualty Department then closed, with all trauma cases being referred to UCH.
In May and June 1969 the Camden Chest Clinic, the St Pancras Chest Unit and the UCH Asthma and Allergy Clinic were transferred to the Hospital.
By 1979 the Hospital had 132 beds.
The Hospital frontage along Hampstead Road, as seen from the south.
The north end of the ward blocks on Cardington Street, with the Hampstead Road frontage on the right.
The ward block on the corner of Cardington Street and Hampstead Road.
The glassed-in walkway in front of the ward block along Hampstead Road (above and below).
On the gable of the ward block the name of the Hospital can just be discerned.
The entrance to the Hospital from Hampstead Road is through an archway.
The glassed-in walkway
linking the Insull Wing to the ward blocks of the Hospital. The
lettering across it for the name of the Hospital has now been
The Insull Wing at 110
The entrance to the
Insull Wing is now boarded up.
The Insull Wing from
inside the courtyard beyond the archway.
The Hospital entrance in the courtyard, opposite the Insull Wing.
The Vezey Strong Wing at 112 Hampstead Road is inside the courtyard, to the right of the entrance door.
The rear of the Hospital buildings, as seen from St James' Gardens (above and below).
Nothing to do with the Hospital, but the attractive red brick building adjacent to the Insull Wing, at 108 Hampstead Road, was once the Saint Pancras Female Orphanage.
The damaged inscription above the door states that the Orphanage was established in 1776 and rebuilt in 1904. Today it is St James' House, used by the Margarete Centre.
References (Accessed 25th April 2015)
(Author unstated) 1932 The
hospital World. British Journal of Nursing (March), 80.
Return to home page