|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
237-239 Ballards Lane, Finchley, N3 1LB
|1954 - 1977
In 1954 Northumberland House in Finsbury Park closed and the staff and patients moved to Ballards Lane in Finchley.
The new premises, Glenwathen, a large house built in the 1890s, had previously been a nursing home - the Glen Wathen Nursing Home (the house's name inexplicably becoming two words). The building was renamed the Northumberland House Mental Nursing Home. It had 30 beds and Dr Robert Riggall was the Medical Superintendent.
In the 1960s the medical staff of the Home included consultant physicians and surgeons, and a medical psychoanalyst.
The Home closed in 1977.
Present status (December 2012)
The building at No. 237 was demolished and a new apartment block - also called Northumberland House - built in its place in the 1980s.
No. 239, a semi-detached house, still survives.
Northumberland House contains 29 apartments.
No. 237 is set back slightly from the road, unlike No. 239, shown on the right of the image (above and below).
No. 239 was perhaps used for staff accommodation.
|References (Accessed 10th July 2016)
to alphabetical list
Return to home page