|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
|1914 - 1919
The Ottermead Auxiliary Military Hospital opened in December 1914. Ottermead, the Surrey seat of the Earl of Meath, had been lent by the Countess of Meath and was a substantial house.
It was used as an overflow hospital for Caens Hill Auxiliary Military Hospital and, by the end of March 1915, its 12 beds were all occupied.
By 1917 the Hospital had 25 beds (later increased to 30) for enlisted men and was affiliated to the Second London General Hospital. It specalised in eye cases and those suffering from shell-shock. Its Commandant was Ethel Locke King, D.B.E., and the nursing staff consisted of a Matron, 1 trained nurse, a masseur and 5 living-in members of the local Voluntary Aid Detachment.
It closed in March 1919.
Present status (May 2011)
The house was demolished in the 1960s. The site now contains the Chaworth Road housing development.
Ottermead Lane, the only remaining use of the name, was once a track behind the property leading to some cottages.
A driveway to the right of Briargate on Guildford Road is on the line of the original drive to the house.
The site of the house is now Chaworth Road, a housing development.
(Author unstated) 1917 Red Cross Work in Surrey During 1917. British Red Cross Society Surrey Branch, 5th Annual Report.
(Author unstated) 1917 List of the various hospitals treating military cases in the United Kingdom. London, H.M.S.O.
(Author unstated) (Undated - ? 1954) Surrey Branch British Red Cross Society. Historical Summary April 1907 - 31st December 1953. Aldershot, John Drew.
|Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page