LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON

 Oxhey Grove Hospital
Oxhey Lane, Hatch End, Pinner, Middlesex HA5
Medical dates:

Medical character:
1941 - 1969

Chronic

The house 'Oxhey Grove' was bought by the Local Authority in Harrow and opened as a hospital for the chronic sick in 1941.  It had 30 beds.

It joined the NHS in 1948, belonging to the Hendon Group.  By 1954 it had 40 beds.

It closed in 1969.


Present status (May 2008)

No trace remains of the Hospital building.  The site has been redeveloped and now contains housing.
Highbanks Road  Highbanks Road
Housing along Highbanks Road, site of the former Hospital.
Oxhey Grove had been the home of the English entomologist, Henry Rowland-Brown (1865-1921), who specialized in lepidopterology (the study of butterflies).  He is buried in the cemetery adjoining the old church in Pinner.
References
www.british-history.ac.uk
Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page