|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Paddington Orthopaedic and
6 Hatherley Grove, Paddington, W2 5RB
Physical medicine (out-patients only)
At the end of the war an Out-Patient Clinic was established at the Divisional Hospital - the Paddington V.A.D. Hospital in Porchester Terrace - so that discharged servicemen could continue to receive treatment.
In November 1919 the Clinic moved to new premises in Hatherley Grove and was renamed the Paddington Orthopaedic and Tropical Clinic. Because of its early start at the Hospital, it was possibly the oldest such clinic in the country.
In its first year of opening some 739 treatments were provided for ex-officers and 18,456 for ex-servicemen.
A Tropical Clinic opened on 6th September 1920 to treatment those suffering from malaria and dysentery. It closed in October 1922 as it was no longer required by the Ministry of Pensions.
The Orthopaedic Clinic closed on 31st May 1924 and the remaining patients were transferred to other clinics and institutions.
During the operational lifetime of the Clinic some 121,323 treatments had been given from November 1919 until May 1924.
Present status (October 2011)
The building has been converted into apartments.
No. 6 Hatherley Grove.
(Author unstated) 1921 News in brief. The Red Cross 8, 10.
(Author unstated) 1925 The British Red Cross Society. County of London Branch Annual Reports 1914-1924. London, Harrison & Sons.
to Orthopaedic and Tropical Clinics
Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page