|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
(4th London General Hospital)
10 Champion Hill, Camberwell, SE5 8EH
|1915 - 1920
In 1915 The Platanes, a large mansion built in 1882 and used as a Hall of Residence for the medical students at King's College Hospital, was requisitioned by the War Office for use as an extension of the Maudsley Military Hospital, the neurological section of the Fourth London General Hospital.
The Maudsley Military Hospital provided accommodation for 400 servicemen and N.C.O.s suffering from war neuroses and shell-shock, while The Platanes was used to house officers. It had 44 beds.
The building remained in use after the war
Present status (August 2011)
In 1923 ownership of the building, which had been donated to King's College Hospital, was transferred to King's College. A North Wing extension was built later that year and a South Wing the following year.
After WW2 the grounds of The Platanes were amalgamated with those of Danehurst, another large house to the south, which also became a Hall of Residence.The Grade II listed building is now known as Platanes House, part of King's College Hall. In 2010 plans were made to refurbish the building and to redevelop the area around it to provide more student accommodation for King's College.
The building is now part of the student accommodation at King's College Hall. It was Grade II listed in 2009.
The gate posts still bear the name - The Platanes.
(Author unstated) 1917 List of the various hospitals treating military cases in the United Kingdom. London, H.M.S.O.
Ferris JRO et al. 1979. The Platanes. A History of King's College Hall. London, King's College Reprographic Unit.
Jones E 2010 Shock at Maghull and the Maudsley: models of psychological medicine in the UK. Journal of the History of Medicine and Allied Sciences. 65, 368-395.
to alphabetical list
Return to home page