|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Coulsdon and Purley
Patriotic Fund Hospital
Congregational Hall, Purley Congregational Church,
906 Brighton Road, Purley, Surrey CR8 2LN
|1915 - 1919
The Coulsdon and Purley Patriotic Fund Hospital opened at the beginning of 1915. It occupied the Hall, which had been built in 1912, and was designated as Class B (that is, it did not accept cot cases).
The Hospital had been organised by the Coulsdon and Purley Patriotic Fund, of which Sir J Lawrence, J.P., was the Chairman, originally established to help the relatives of serving men.
By March 1915 all 30 beds were occupied.
On 1st July 1916 the Hospital became affiliated to the Horton (County of London) War Hospital.
It closed on 29th March 1919.
Present status (August 2012)
The Church is now the Purley United Reformed Church. It was Grade II listed in 2010.
The former Purley Congregational Church was built in 1904.
The aisles of the Church on the south side.
The newly built foyer (above and below). The Church has had numerous extensions added over the years.
The 1912 Hall is obscured by the later addition of a Memorial Hall.
The western corner of the Church buildings (above and below).
12th September 2013)
(Author unstated) 1917 List of the various hospitals treating military cases in the United Kingdom. London, H.M.S.O.
to alphabetical list
Return to home page