|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Queen Victoria Hospital
Green Lane, Hanwell, W7 2PT
|1900 - 1978
The Hanwell Cottage Hospital opened in 1900 on the western side of Green Lane. It had been paid for by public subscription to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria.
In 1923 it was extended and renamed the Queen Victoria and War Memorial Hospital in memory of the servicemen who had died during the Great War. It had 17 beds.
In January 1927 an extension to the X-ray Department was officially opened by the Mayor of Ealing. A new operating table was also purchased that year.
In 1938 the Hospital Committee appealed for funds to extend the Hospital so that its work could be expanded. Plans were prepared and tenders obtained, and the building work had just begun on the new children's ward and Physiotherapy Department when war broke out.
The war marked the end of the project, but the basement was completed with the necessary reinforcement so it could be used as an air-raid shelter.
After the war the Hospital was unable to obtain permission to continue the building work. It continued to be financed by voluntary contributions until 1948, when it joined the NHS on the Appointed Day (5th July) and came under the control of the South West Middlesex Hospital Management Committee, part of the North West Metropolitan Hospital Regional Board.
It closed in 1979 when the new Ealing Hospital opened, just the other side of the River Brent.
Present status (May 2008)
The Hospital has been demolished and the site now contains the 24-apartment block, Mount Olive Court.
Mount Olive Court (above and below)
12th October 2013)
to alphabetical list
Return to home page