|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Quernmore House School
Quernmore House School Sanatorium,
London Lane, Plaistow, Bromley, Kent BR1 4HF
Quernmore House School for boys was founded in 1880, originally in Holwood Road, just off Bromley High Street. Its success was such that, by the turn of thr century, it had moved to Plaistow Lodge, a large mansion built in 1770, located to the northwest of the town in a district known as Kinnaird Park. The school boasted of exceptionally strong staff and individual attention to backward boys.
At the outbreak of WW1 Mrs Loly, presumably the School Housekeeper with three resident Matrons, offered the School's Infirmary for use as an auxiliary hospital.
The Quernmore House School Auxiliary Hospital appears to have been active only for a short time, but its facilities remained available in reserve for a more extended period. The Hospital was under the care of the Kent/52 Voluntary Aid Detachment (V.A.D.) with Mrs W.H. Lewin as Commandant (Lt-Col and Mrs Lewin lived a few yards away in Derunda, 51 London Lane. The Colonel was also active in supporting the V.A.D.).
Present status (January 2012)
Quernmore House has continued in educational use.
After WW2 the building became the Quernmore Secondary School, a County Secondary School.
In 1955 it was Grade II* listed.
Since 1986 it has housed the Parish CE Primary School (itself a venerable institution, dating from 1716). While there are now extensive additional buildings, the core remains the original 1770 mansion.
The substantial mansion is just visible at the end of a long tree-lined driveway.
The Parish CE Primary School buildings occupy a very sheltered setting in the middle of a large block.
Creswick P, Pond GS, Ashton PH 1915 Kent's Care for the Wounded. London, Hodder & Stoughton.
Walker J 1979 The British Red Cross in the Bromley area 1910-1919. Bromley Local History 4, 17-23.
|Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page