|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
R.A.F. Central Hospital
Avenue House, 17 East End Road, Finchley, N3 3QE
|1919 - 1925
In 1919 the R.A.F. Central Hospital, Hampstead, moved from Mount Vernon to Avenue House, and became R.A.F. Central Hospital, Finchley.
The House had belonged to Henry Charles Stephens (1841-1918), the son of the famous ink manufacturer, who had died the previous year and bequeathed it to the people of Finchley.
The Hospital closed in June 1925.
Present status (April 2012)
The Grade II listed building and its grounds are now called the Avenue House Estate and are managed by the Avenue House Estate Management, a charitable trust. The house contains a small museum - the Stephens Collection - which is open to the public free of charge. The gardens comprise some 10 acres and are a public park.
Today Avenue House provides facilities for conferences, business meetings, exhibitions, parties and weddings.
The front elevation of Avenue House. The house was originally built in an Italianate style in 1859, while the stone extension on the right of the image was added by Henry Charles Stephens in about 1884 to house his laboratory.
The stuccoed house and its extension. The house had been damaged by fire in 1989 and has since been extensively refurbished.
The Lodge was once associated with the stable yard for the estate. The stables and coach house are also Grade II listed.
The house, its extension and the Lodge.
The rear elevation, as seen from the park.
The side and rear elevations of the 1884 extension (left) and the back of the house with its 4-storey tower (right).
The extension bears a cartouche on its northern gable, with the motto "Regnant qui servant"
(Author unstated) 1925 Nursing echoes. British Journal of Nursing (July), 142.
www.dnw.co.uk (accessed April 1012)
to alphabetical list
Return to home page