|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Royal Flying Corps Hospital
37 Bryanston Square, W1H 2DY
|1916 - 1919
The Royal Flying Corps Hospital opened in May 1916 in a house lent by Lady Tredegar. In June 1916 the King sent a gift of wine for the use of the wounded officers there.
The Hospital was the second to open in London specifically for members of the Corps. The first, in Dorset Square, remained the Headquarters, and a Convalescent Home had also been established at Freshwater in the Isle of Wight.
The Hospital was affiliated to Queen Alexandra's Military Hospital. It had 20 beds, 12 of which had been donated by Lady Tredegar, who also contributed to the maintenance fund for the running costs. Princess Christian had given a substantial donation towards the cost of the equipment and Lady St Helier had also presented some beds and other practical gifts, as well as obtained financial assistance. (Lady St Helier befriended the Canadian Billy Bishop (1894-1956), an observer for the Royal Flying Corps, who had sustained a knee injury in May 1916 and had been admitted to the Hospital. She enabled him to be accepted for training as a pilot as the Central Training School at Upavon, Salisbury Plain. Bishop went on to become the top flying ace of the British Empire, with 72 victories.)
In March 1917 the King and Queen visited the Hospital. By this time, following the great expansion of the Corps, the development of aerial fighting and the physical effects of constant flying at great altitudes had greatly increased the number of sick and wounded officers. The accommodation at the Hospital was proving insufficient and the Committee launched an Appeal for funds for expansion. Lady Tredegar, who already had had a ward named after her for her generosity in allowing the use of her house, contributed £375 to cover maintenance of the Hospital for six months and one additional bed.
In addition, another property was secured at Eaton Square to become a sister hospital.
Both Hospitals closed in 1919.
Present status (May 2010)
Nos. 33-43 Bryanston Square have been replaced by three large apartment blocks, now numbered 33, 34 and 35.
The west side of Bryanston Square.
No. 37 would probably have been just to the right of the entrance to the present No. 34.
(Author unstated) 1917 List of the various hospitals treating military cases in the United Kingdom. London, H.M.S.O.
(Author unstated) 1917 Airisms from the four winds. Flight, 8th March, 229.
(Author unstated) 1917 Airisms from the four winds. Flight, 29th March, 299.
http://scans.library.utoronto.ca (page 4)
|Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page