|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Rosa Morison House
83 Gloucester Road, New Barnet, Herts EN5 1HA
|1913 - 1986
Convalescent. Later, mental handicap
Built in the 19th century as a private house with its own grounds, the building was bought by the Elizabeth Garrett Anderson Hospital following a bequest by Miss Rosa Morison (1841-1912), the Lady Superintendent of Women Students at University College London from 1883 until her death in 1912.
The Rosa Morison House of Recovery opened in 1913 as a pre-convalescent unit for patients of the Hospital.
In 1948 both the Elizabeth Garrett Anderson Hospital and Rosa Morison House joined the NHS. However, following reorganisation of the NHS in the 1960s, the House found itself in a different Health Authority (Barnet) from its parent Hospital (Camden). In 1972 the House joined the Barnet Hospital Group and became a 'Handicap' Day Hospital.
In 1986 the House was taken over by Barnet Council and became the Rosa Morison Day Opportunities Service - a centre supporting adults with learning disabilities and complex needs.
Present status (October 2008)
The original House has been demolished and the Rosa Morison Day Centre built beside its site. The state-of-the-art building contains a hydrotherapy pool, a multi-sensory room and a roof garden, and provides a service for 45 people with learning disabilities.
The rest of the land was sold off for new housing.
A Rosa Morison Memorial Medal and Prize is still awarded by University College London.
The Rosa Morison Day Centre (left). A plaque commemorates the opening of the new building in June 2007 (right).
New housing has been built on the remainder of the site.
|Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page