|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Ruskin Park Extension
(4th London General Hospital)
Ruskin Park, Camberwell, SE5
|1915 - 1923
In 1915, as casualties during the war began to mount, the Fourth London General Hospital was extended into the adjacent Ruskin Park, where hutments were erected to accommodate sick and wounded servicemen. A footbridge was built over the railway line to link the Park with the Hospital.
By 1917 the Ruskin Park extension covered 5 hectares of the 14-hectare park and contained 656 beds, including 65 for patients with tuberculosis. In addition, 160 servicemen were housed in marquees, which had been erected to accommodate those undergoing massage treatment or awaiting discharge by the Medical Board.
After the war the site became a Ministry of
Pensions Hospital. It closed in 1923.
Present status (September 2010)
The huts were sold and dismantled in 1924 and Ruskin Park became a public park once again.
Ruskin Park (above and below).
(Author unstated) 1917 List of the various hospitals treating military cases in the United Kingdom. London, H.M.S.O.
Payne H 2012 The Park in war and peace. In: Lost Stories of Ruskin Park. London, Embrace Cooperation Ltd.
to alphabetical list
Return to home page