|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
Springhill Auxiliary Hospital
County School of Domestic Economy, 142 College Road, Bromley, Kent
|1915 - 1918
The Springhill V.A.D. Hospital opened in November 1915 with 38 beds and an operating theatre. The building Springhill, a Domestic Science School, had been lent to the Red Cross Society by the Kent Education Committee.
The Hospital was affiliated to the Brook War Hospital. It was run by the local Voluntary Aid Detachment.
By 1917 the number of beds had been increased to 40 and, later, to 43.
The Hospital closed in 1918.
Present status (October 2011)
The building became the Springhill Hostel for Women Students but, by the 1960s, was an annexe for the Bromley Technical College, housing its Department of General Studies.
It has since been demolished to make way for a new traffic scheme. The site where the building stood is now part of a large roundabout.
The site of the Auxiliary Hospital.
25th October 2013)
(Author unstated) 1917 List of the various hospitals treating military cases in the United Kingdom. London, H.M.S.O.
Walker J 1979 The British Red Cross in the Bromley area 1910-1919. Bromley Local History 4, 17-23.
to alphabetical list
Return to home page