|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
St George's Hall V.A.D. Hospital
St George's Hall, Deerhurst Road, Willesden Lane,
|1915 - 1919
St George's Hall V.A.D. Hospital opened on 16th January 1915 in the church hall of St George's Presbyterian Church, which had been lent for the purpose by the Revd E.M.H. Macpherson.
The Hospital had 16 beds for enlisted servicemen and was affiliated to the First London General Hospital. It had one trained nurse, who was assisted by members of the Middlesex/4 Voluntary Aid Detachment (V.A.D.) of the Order of St John of Jerusalem.
By 1917 the Hospital had 20 beds and was staffed by a Sister, a Night Sister and 10 members of the V.A.D.
The Hospital closed in January 1919.
St George's Presbyterian Church, built in 1888 on the corner of Willesden Lane and Deerhurst Road, closed in 1973. The building was sold to a religious Hindu community, who renovated it and re-opened it as a temple in late 1975.
As the congregration grew and more
space was needed, it was decided to replace the building. The
church was demolished in 1986 and a new temple built.
The front elevation of the Shree Swaminarayan Hindu temple on Willesden Lane (left) and the rear of the building on Deerhurst Road (right).
|References (Accessed 25th September 2016)
(Author unstated) 1917 List of the various hospitals treating military cases in the United Kingdom. London, H.M.S.O.
(Author unstated) (undated - ? 1954) Surrey Branch British Red Cross Society. Historical Surray April 1907 - 31st December 1953. Aldershot, John Drew.
Fenn CR 1919 Middlesex to Wit. London, St Catherine Press.
Valentine KJ 1994 Willesden at War. Vol 1: The Impact on the Community. Self-published.
|Return to alphabetical list
Return to home page