|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
St Mark's Hospital for Diseases of the Rectum and Colon
City Road, Finsbury, EC1V 2PS
|1835 - 1995
One of the oldest and most renowned centres of colorectal surgery, the Hospital began life in 1835 in a small room with seven beds at 11 Aldersgate Street as the Infirmary for the Relief of the Poor Afflicted with Fistula and Other Diseases of the Rectum. It came to be known as the Fistula Infirmary.
It was financially supported by the City of London. Charles Dickens was a patient here.
In 1838 the Hospital moved to larger premises at 38 Charterhouse Square. By this time it had 14 beds.
Thirteen years later, in 1854, a new site was purchased in City Road. The 25-bedded hospital opened on St Mark's Day (25th April) and took the name of St Mark's Hospital for Fistula and Other Diseases of the Rectum.
Expansion became increasingly necessary and, in 1896, a new building was opened.
In 1909 the name changed again to St Mark's Hospital for Cancer, Fistula and Other Diseases of the Rectum, reflecting the interests in cancer surgery.
The pathologist Cuthbert Dukes worked here. He was a pioneer of staging the spread of colorectal cancer. 'Dukes staging' is still used today.
Work began in 1926 on a large extension to provide two new wards, a new Out-Patients Department, X-ray facilities, and pathology and research departments. By this time the Hospital had 93 beds.
In 1948 the Hospital joined the NHS. It survived the many administrative changes taking place within the Health Service until 1994, when it became part of the Northwick Park and St Mark's NHS Trust based in Harrow.
In 1995 the Hospital moved to newly built premises on the Northwick Park Hospital site.
Present status (January 2008)
The building is now St Mark's Apartments - a short-term stay executive hotel.
Looking across City Road.
St Mark's lion above the entrance to the Nurses' Home off Richards Road.
View from Monton Street.
Sign advertising flats to let in St Mark's Apartments.
Photograph taken about 1929 showing staff at St Mark's putting together the fund-raising board outside their ward asking for an additional £15,000 for the extension.
(Photograph courtesy of Melanie Leggatt)
Black N 2006 Walking London's Medical History. London, Royal Society of Medicine Press.
Morson BC 1985 St Mark's Hospital - 1835-1995. Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England 67, 202.
to alphabetical list
Return to home page