|LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON|
St Matthew's Hall
St Matthew's Hall, St Mary's Road, Willesden, NW10 4AU
|1914 - 1918
In December 1914, following the outbreak of WW1, the Middlesex/16 Voluntary Aid Detachment (V.A.D.), belonging to the Order of St John, opened an auxiliary hospital in St Matthew's Church hall, St Mary's Road, Willesden.
The Hospital was known variously as the St Mary's Road V.A.D. Hospital, St John's Hospital, Willesden Military Hospital and St Matthew's Hall V.A.D. Hospital. It had 30 beds and was affiliated to the Edmonton Military Hospital.
In January 1918, in the New Year Honours list, the Commandant of the Middlesex/16 V.A.D, Mrs Catherine Swan Paull, received an M.B.E. as a result of her war efforts.
The Hospital closed at the end of the war in 1918.
Present status (October 2010)The original hall, built in 1910-11 at a cost of £3,076, was destroyed by a direct hit from a high explosive bomb on 28th September 1940 during WW2. Seven people sheltering in the basement were killed.
The building remained derelict until 1951, when it was restored and modernised at a cost of £12,000, with funds provided by the War Damage Reinstatement Scheme.
The bomb-damaged hall was rebuilt in 1951.
The original foundation stone survives.
|References (Accessed 24th August 2017)
(Author unstated) 1917 List of the various hospitals treating military cases in the United Kingdom. London, H.M.S.O.
Fenn CR 1919 Middlesex to Wit. London, St Catherine Press.
to alphabetical list
Return to home page